Thursday, April 30, 2009

2 Years Ago...

The following is a personal introduction that I wrote in one of my college courses on April 1, 2007. I absolutely loved reading this again. This short memoir was written only a few months before the events that would shape the next few years of my life started to unravel. The young woman who wrote this was confident, ambitious, and most of all she loved life. She represents everything that I was and everything that I strive to become again.

Written April 1, 2007
After weeks of anticipation, I have finally received my official evaluation to reveal that I am only 18 credits from my bachelor’s degree in Communications with a minor in Business Administration. It seems that this journey has been long, ever-changing, and at times utterly impossible. Immediately after high school graduation, I began college at a local community college in Virginia where I remained on the Dean’s List for that entire year. I was accepted at Virginia Commonwealth University to study Fashion Merchandising to fulfill my dream of working for a fashion magazine or in some other similar fashion career. The art department is demanding and strict by dropping letter grades after only two absences. I felt guilty for letting my parents down so I joined the Army Reserves in an attempt to relieve them of the increasing tuition burdens. After one semester away at training, I was back to what I thought would be my last two years of college bliss with sorority functions, campus hangouts, and finally my degree. Those two years quickly turned into one semester since my unit was being deployed to Kuwait. I must admit I was upset about having to leave home and venture into a hazardous duty location, but I was even more upset that my life would now have to be put on hold. I did not anticipate that I would be sent off to the desert so soon after my initial training. My plans for college would now have to wait.

That is when I turned to UMUC-Europe and my opportunities began to re-open. I completed 19 credits while I was in Kuwait, which made 13 months in the desert seem to go by rather quickly. Once I arrived back home to Virginia, I was faced with a difficult decision. I could return back to the college life once again or I could finish my degree online while I started to work full-time. After much thought and research, I realized that my friends had already left school, and I was finished with the campus crawl lifestyle. I wanted to venture into the workforce while still completing my degree. Shortly after my return I was offered a position to work within the federal government as a civilian employee in administration and human resources. I was able to obtain a job that many of my recent graduates were still seeking. I have encountered a few obstacles that have made this process a bit more challenging, but I have never lost sight of the ultimate goal to achieve my bachelor’s degree and continue on with my education and career.

My name is Kristin Wasilewski and I am a 24 year old Virginian. Some might refer to me as the epitome of a Lost Angeles wannabe: I have very long blond hair. I have blue eyes. I tan about once a month. I have fake nails most of the time. I am a religious gym junkie. I use the word “like” in every sentence. I think that I watch the news because I know how Anna Nicole Smith died or the name of the most recent celebrity baby. I receive phone calls, emails, and text messages of entertainment issues on a daily basis from various friends. I started to eat sushi because it was the thing to do at the time. I have a MySpace account that is updated bi-weekly with the most recent photos of my friends and our most recent party or dinner we attended. I have tried to get into most clubs listed in any celebrity magazine in both New York and Los Angeles in hopes to bump shoulders with an A Lister. I spend at least $50 or a more a month on fashion and entertainment magazines. I watch television at a minimum but it is restricted to Entertainment, VHI, and MTV. I have requested new release songs at a club that the deejays have not even heard yet only to hear them play them over and over weeks later. I base my entire wardrobe on what I see in magazines. I visit at least thirty online stores and boutiques per week. I love pink. I think that Britney Spears will recover and make a come-back. I have always been referred to as a valley girl.

According to the descriptions above, it would appear that I am shallow and I live inside of a fantasy land. Never be deceived by the outward appearances of others or the personality that they wish to portray. True character is based on morals.
Moral character or character is an evaluation of a person’s moral and mental qualities. Such an evaluation is subjective –one person may evaluate someone’s character on the basis of their virtue, another may consider their fortitude, courage, loyalty, honesty, or piety. (Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia)

I am not addicted to celebrities and I do not ever think that I will become one. These issues interest me in a way deeper than that. My passion is anything that has to do with pop culture. If I was able to, I would like to use my journalism education to work as an entertainment journalist or a fashion journalist. I would like to integrate my hobbies with my career to produce articles for thousands of people to read. I have such a passion for fashion and I know that I would be the best at something that I truly care about. I sometimes find myself online searching for various hidden boutiques, new hip restaurants, and tips to find the best travel spots. I do this because I am interested in learning about what is new and exciting. I want to inform readers on these current issues that I research as a hobby. I want to succeed at my career and in life, but I also know that I want to wake up each day knowing that I will have to be creative, innovative, and open to new ideas in journalism.

With that being stated I will begin once again. My name is Kristin Wasilewski and I am a 24 year old Virginian. I attended private school until I entered the 7th grade where I was placed in the honors program in the public school system. I graduated high school at the top 10% of my class and I participated in various sports, clubs, and organizations. I volunteered at the local senior citizens center for two years while in high school. I wanted to work as a bank teller part time while in college when I was 18, so I researched online, took the exams, and was offered the position. My family and friends thought I was joking when I told them I was joining the Army Reserves, so I left for training and returned with an award being honored for graduating at the top of my class. I am now a Veteran for deploying in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I was selected from my unit of over 100 Soldiers to take a helicopter ride with a three star General while in Kuwait. I recently completed a pay administration training course for two weeks with the highest average in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment